Operate computer-controlled machines or robots to perform one or more machine functions on metal or plastic work pieces.
• Adjust machine feed and speed, change cutting tools, or adjust machine controls when automatic programming is faulty or if machines malfunction.
• Calculate machine speed and feed ratios and the size and position of cuts.
• Check to ensure that workpieces are properly lubricated and cooled during machine operation.
• Confer with supervisors or programmers to resolve machine malfunctions or production errors or to obtain approval to continue production.
• Listen to machines during operation to detect sounds such as those made by dull cutting tools or excessive vibration and adjust machines to compensate for problems.
• Maintain machines and remove and replace broken or worn machine tools, using hand tools.
• Measure dimensions of finished workpieces to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments, templates, and fixtures.
• Mount, install, align, and secure tools, attachments, fixtures, and workpieces on machines, using hand tools and precision measuring instruments.
• Stack or load finished items or place items on conveyor systems.